Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Welcome to the Al Bowlly Blog

This Blog celebrates the life and music of one of the greatest vocalists of the 1930's Dance Band era, Al Bowlly.

For more than 35 years, I have been collecting 78 rpm recordings of this consummate artist. I have gained enormous pleasure from Bowlly's work, and now I want to give something back to the world.

Over the coming weeks, months and years, I will be sharing my collection with you. Stay tuned for biographical snippets, recording information, songs, photographs, podcasts and more. If you're already a fan of Bowlly, you're in for a treat. If you've just dropped in out of curiosity, prepare to be captivated by the master of melody.

6 comments:

  1. Hi and greetings from Melbourne...I am really lookng forward to hearing your podcasts... I have been watching Pennies From Heaven and just loved hearing Al sing Easy Come Easy Go...wow
    Take care and good luck with the blog
    Nigel Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for creating this blog. Al's got one of the best voices ever. One of my all-time favourites.
    Lorna L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I found this blog! Can anyone tell me who wrote the song "easy come easy go" ? Up till now I found no author or composer.


    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter, Easy Come, Easy Go was written by Edward Heyman (words) and John Green (Music) First featured in "Bachelor of Arts" (1934) and "No Contest!" (1934) (Ruth Etting sang it). Bowllybiz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I'm writing a radio play that pivots on an Al Bowlly song (Make Yourself a Happiness Pie). The play is not about Bowlly, but the song lyrics are important. Would you be willing to have a conversation with me about the song? I'm interested in its popularity, availability when published etc. Thank you. dennajones@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi daisybush, Bowlly recorded this Nelson-Perkins number with the Ray Noble orchestra in London on December 31st 1930. Personnel in the band included Bill Shakespeare and Jack Jackson (trumpets) Tony Thorpe (trombone) Ernie Ritte, Reg Pink and Harry Carter (clarinet and saxophone) Eric Siday, Reg. Pursglove and Jean Pougnet (violins) Harry Jacobson (piano) Billy Reid (Piano accordion) Bert Thomas (guitar) Jack Evetts (string Bass) Bill Harty (drums). Apart from that, I can't tell you anything about the song or its history. Regards, BowllyBiz

    ReplyDelete